Search media releases

‘Dangerous offender’ jailed for twelve years for raping woman at Newcastle station

Oliver Whittaker custody image.jpg

Oliver Whittaker

View | Download (JPG - 22 KB)
A man labelled as a ‘dangerous offender’ has today been sentenced to twelve years and ten months behind bars for raping a woman at Newcastle Central station in December last year.
Oliver Whittaker, 30, was handed the jail term at Newcastle Crown Court yesterday after previously pleading guilty to the crime.  He will also be placed on the sex offenders register for life.
In the early hours of Sunday 3 December, Whittaker of Studley Terrace, Newcastle, had been in Middlesbrough drinking throughout the evening before returning to Newcastle around 10pm. He was waiting in a taxi queue outside the station when he targeted the victim, a 34-year-old woman from Darlington, who had been separated from her partner.
He then led her from the taxi queue into the long stay station car park where he raped her on the exit ramp.
Following the incident, Whittaker walked off, but the victim managed to raise the alarm and alerted rail staff at the station. Hearing what had taken place; the staff chased Whittaker, who was detained by two Taxi Marshalls nearby until officers arrived. He was subsequently arrested and charged with rape and sexual assault by penetration.
After initially pleading not guilty, he changed his plea to guilty at a hearing on 20 February.
Detective Sergeant Alan Darlington said: “Whittaker is a dangerous offender who is now behind bars where he belongs. He subjected a vulnerable woman to a horrendous attack which understandably left her extremely distressed. 
“I would like to commend the victim for her brave actions in coming forward and reporting this incident. Due to this we were able to quickly carry out forensic investigations and examine CCTV footage from the surrounding area which helped us prosecute Whittaker for this awful crime.
“I welcome the sentence which has been handed to Whittaker and hope that the victim and is able to take some comfort from the fact that this man has now been brought to justice.”

Share release