Search media releases

Prolific sex pest sentenced following BTP investigation – London



View | Download (JPG - 76 KB)
A man who sexually assaulted four women on the London Underground over a period of two months, was yesterday sentenced.

Malcolm Schwartz, aged 19 and of Kingsground, Eltham, appeared before Blackfriars Crown Court on Monday (12/03) where he was handed a 62 week prison sentence suspended for two years. The judge also imposed a Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO) and Schwartz will be on the sex offenders register for ten years. 

The assaults happened between December 2017 and January 2018 on Central Line trains during the busy rush hour. 

The first offence happened on board a busy Central Line service between Mile End and Bethnal Green at approximately 8.30am on 14 December last year. Schwartz’s boarded the service and approached a 26-year-old woman where he then exposed himself, pressing into the victim.  

In her witness statement the victim provided a detailed description of Schwartz. 

The following month on 8 January, Schwartz returned to the Central Line, this time targeting two different woman over a busy morning period. The women, aged 23 and 28, were assaulted between Liverpool to St Paul’s and Bank station. During each assault, he touched the victim and pressed himself against them inappropriately. 

The forth incident happened once more on a Central Line train at Bethnal Green station. Schwartz stood closely behind her, touching her inappropriately as the train travelled. 

In each assault, the victims reported the incident to police. Officers from British Transport Police’s Sexual Offences Unit were then able to trace Schwartz. In interview he accepted he assaulted the women and he later pleaded guilty to four counts of sexual assault at Blackfriars Crown Court. 
Schwartz SOPO prevents from using the London Underground and DLR network as well as this, he is forbidden from sitting next to a lone woman he does not know. 

DC Thomas O’Regan from the Sexual Offences Unit of British Transport Police, said: “Schwartz’s behaviour was perverse. Over a two month period of time, he travelled on busy Central Line trains assaulting women for his own sexual gratification. His conduct was outrageous and I am pleased we were able to catch him. 

“This complex case demonstrates the true value in reporting unwanted sexual behaviour to police. The victims each provided us with clear accounts of what happened, enabling us to clearly identify Schwartz as the perpetrator. Reports such as theirs help us catch offenders, and ensure that justice is delivered.

“I hope today’s sentence sends a very strong message that sexual assault on the transport network will not be tolerated. Everyone should be free to travel without a man like Schwartz targeting them.”

Siwan Hayward, Transport for London’s Head of Transport Policing, said: “The actions of Schwartz were demeaning, unacceptable and intimidating. We do not tolerate unwanted sexual behaviour on London’s public transport network and I commend all those who came forward to report what they saw. Every report matters and it helped police build a picture so they could catch Schwartz and sentence him for his offensive, disgusting crimes. 

“I want everyone to know that London's public transport is safe and sexual offending has no place on our network. Offenders will be identified and will be brought to justice.”

Share release