Search media releases

Prison and banning order for football hooligan – Scotland



View | Download (JPG - 18 KB)
A 35-year-old man has been handed a six month prison sentence and a three year Football Banning Order after his abusive and aggressive behaviour. 

The offence occurred on Sunday 27 November 2016 shortly before the Aberdeen vs Celtic Scottish League Cup Final match at Hampden Park. 

Just before 2pm BTP officers patrolling at Glasgow Central station were made aware of a man acting aggressively on the station concourse. 

Officers approached the man, Kevin Goffin of Kincorth Circle, Aberdeen who was now in the Marks and Spencer store acting inappropriately towards a Celtic Football Club supporter. Goffin was then approached by officers and he became increasingly hostile. 

Goffin was then restrained by officers where he launched a torrent of homophobic, intimidating and violent abuse to police officers. The abuse continued all the way to police custody.  

Goffin was charged with one count contrary to the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications Act and one count contrary to the Criminal Justice and Licensing Act. He appeared before Glasgow Sherriff Court on Wednesday 4 January where he was sentenced. 

Investigating officer Sergeant Michael McEwan, said: “Threating or abusive behaviour will simply not be tolerated and I am pleased that this man has been handed a prison sentence.  

“Goffin was travelling towards the Aberdeen vs Celtic match, instead he spent his afternoon in police custody because of his irresponsible and violent behaviour. He will now spend the next six months behind bars and it will be three years before he can attend another football match. Plenty of time for him to reflect on his actions. I hope his days of hooliganism are well and truly behind him.

“We are committed to protecting the travelling public from this kind of mindless hooliganism and we are satisfied our application for a banning order against him has been granted.”

Share release